Friday, February 12, 2021

Waste is only waste if we waste it

 The lessons God teaches me in the grand curriculum of my life sometimes really crack me up.  You know from past blogs that I've been a little grumpy lately. I've been struggling with gratitude. Struggling with my empty nest. Currently struggling with my displacement since my house flooded. The trials keep coming in droves!  

I've been working on preaching to myself, counseling myself with techniques I have been taught to use on others. Pulling myself out of the mire using gratitude techniques and mindfully being thankful for everything God has given me.  It's not always easy.  I'm a visual person and God knows I sometimes need visual lessons to help me grasp a point. 

I went to visit my mom and dad this week and my dad was showing me some videos that he likes to watch on YouTube.  He & mom kept telling me about a guy they watch who gathers scrap metal. (They think it's fascinating all the things they can find on YouTube that people get paid to video!)  I thought to myself, "Well, this sounds like a lame thing to watch."  But after the first episode, God made it evident that this was my gratitude lesson for the day.  I'm going to attach his video below so you, too,  can view the lesson.  :) 

I watched this man drive through neighborhoods so early in the morning going through people's garbage looking for scrap metal and vacuum cords filled with copper wiring. He then drives to the scrap yard to turn in his haul and get paid for the poundage of metal he brings in.  As he drives around looking for trash, he is so joyful and talks not only to his camera audience, but talks to God.  He thanks God for bigger things he finds. He thanks God for the measly $20 he might make in a day, and he is overjoyed by God's goodness to him when he gets a more lucrative haul.  At the end of his videos, he thanks God for the beautiful sunshine, for his energy to work that day, for his truck to scrap in...literally everything!  

His joy comes from his thankful heart. "A joyful heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22

If the Scrap and Pallet Man can be joyful and thankful digging through trash for his provisions, then I can be thankful for all the things God has given me.  I can take what sometimes feels like trash in my life and be thankful for it.  I will now start looking for value in what seems useless in my life; what seems like waste. 

What a fun lesson in gratitude. 

Here's the link if it doesn't pop up on your phone. Here's the link



No comments:

Post a Comment