Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What's in a name?

What does your name mean?  I had to look mine up because I'm not really sure.  Answers.com says that Becky means "beautiful, energetic, pretty, tom-boyish, and rich".  I'll take that.  I'm still waiting around on the rich part, but whatever.  Michael's name means "who is like the Lord".  I'll have to keep him humble with that as his name.

Names are important.  You kind of resemble your name to some degree.  Our daughter, Alexandria's name means "protector of men".  We named her that because we liked the name, but really she is what brought Michael around to the realization that he had a little life to protect and she made him the man he is today.  Evan's name means "God is good" and ain't that the truth?!  That little boy shows me God's goodness every single day!

Names are powerful.  But all other names pale in comparison to a certain Great Name!!  Many hymns and songs have been written about the name of Jesus.  About the amazing power in the name of Jesus.  Even typing it out here in this blog, I know the name will be offensive to some friends who read it.  Some of my friends have a hard time with religion, are atheists or agnostics.  The name of Jesus really is offensive to them.  But that name to me is LIFE!  That name to me is FREEDOM!  Everything is better when just simply the name "Jesus" is spoken!  Jesus means "salvation".  Salvation from anything and everything that is wrong.

This has been my most favorite song lately.  "Your Great Name" by Natalie Grant.  And I have the privilege of seeing Natalie Grant at Women of Faith in a few weeks.  Oh, I can hardly contain myself!  I will be transported to heaven and back.  Can you imagine 10,000 women singing along to this song?  WOW!  10,000 voices saying the name of Jesus.  Just a little teeny taste of heaven.  Homesick, I am.  Ready to be with the object of my desire!  Ready to physically crawl into my Savior's lap.  At the sound of His great name...

No comments:

Post a Comment