Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How big is your God? Mine's HUGE!

Michael and I had the most amazing thing happen to us today!  We were laughing out loud in bewilderment and joy.  God shows up in some pretty bizarre and unexpected ways, but this is a way we would have never expected.  I'm pretty sure some of you may not even believe me. 

So, Michael has been out of the Air Force since December 1st.  Finding another job has been a little more difficult than we expected for him.  Here it is almost February and still no job.  We have done a few things to keep us afloat financially, but we finally decided it is important to at least get health care for the kids and get some help financially for food.  Well, talk about the hardest decision ever and definitely a most humbling experience for us.  It's really hard to even write this blog and tell everyone about it because some things you just don't want people to know.  But the amazing-ness of the situation requires that I let you all know about it! 

We are sitting in the lobby waiting to be seen by the social worker doubting as to if we even really need to be there.  Out comes our social worker who is the kindest woman on the planet!  (She was Papa to me, if any of you have read The Shack...if you haven't, never mind)  We go to her office and she made a simple comment about having to pray herself through the day today to be able to work with some of the clients who come in.  Michael says, "I'm so glad you pray.  What church do you go to?"  So, this swings wide open a door that probably is not usually opened in the welfare office. We start talking about our respective churches, then we start talking about ministry, then we start telling her about getting out of the Air Force and feeling a call on our lives to minister in Grand Forks, and really living on faith right now.  She opens up to us about how she and her husband are about to get out of the Air Force in a few months, feel called to minister in Grand Forks, and will soon be stepping out on faith.  She tells us that God totally brought us into her office today to bless her and encourage her with our faith journey.  Michael and I get tears in our eyes as we realize our stories and lives are parallel with this sweet precious woman and her husband.  God has us both on the same track and now He has brought us together in her office.  Seriously? 

I don't know how big the god you serve is, but mine is HUGE!  He is ever-present (even in the welfare office), He cares about every little detail of our lives, He orchestrates the most amazing things.  Our caseworker prayed with us, encouraged us, and just became a good friend to us easing our minds about this humbling experience we are in.  And we were able to bless her life by encouraging her, giving her advice on getting out of the Air Force, and showing her that living on faith isn't so bad!  She went on and on about how great God is and how amazing it was that we were put together today to lift each other up!  I hugged my sister in Christ before we left.  I truly felt that God gave me the biggest bear hug and again provided provision for my family in some awesome ways. 

I blogged the other day about making your work your ministry and doing everything as if doing it for God.  Well, I met a lady today who's work is her ministry.  And she ministered to us in a most amazing way.  Because she was obedient to God, we ALL got a blessing.  She told me to go home and look up a song "Here I Am" by Marvin Sapp.  Enjoy it, as I have this evening relishing in the fact that I spent a few hours in God's presence today in the social services department at the courthouse.  God meets our need wherever we may be.  Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart."

3 comments:

  1. Amazing Becky. I can tell you my God is really big. I think back when Cecil had to retire because of health. Salary down to very little; Eddie in college but I told the priest at SEMMC not to worry about me that My father owned the cattle on a thousand hills and I would never really be hungry and I would always have shelter, may not be mine but then neither was HIS home his own. He brought us through those hard times and taught us what He could do. He is testing your faith right now and I know that you will be found faithful. There is so much we don't understand about God; but this one thing I know. He loves me, He loves you, Michael and the children and His blessings will be outpouring. I love you. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing and awesome story! Thanks for sharing! I was crying! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really amazing. i love it when God shows up, but even more when our eyes are open enough to see Him standing there.

    ReplyDelete