Thursday, April 14, 2011

New Lesson

So, I learned another lesson this past week.  This time, though, it wasn't painful...it was kind of humorous.  Let me give you some background first.

Michael and I have led a Lifegroup for many years now.  Our Lifegroup has shifted from a couples group talking marriage and relationships to a Lifegroup this year of college students/young adults.  We go with the flow...wherever God wants to use us is fine.  When we started the young adult group we were making dinner for the "kids" every week.  (I say kids because we are just way too old!) We just had a few so it wasn't a problem.  Hot dogs, hamburgers, chili, lasagna...all foods you can make for a lot of people.  No problem.  Well, now our group has grown and Michael is out of a job.  Affording a meal for 20 people every Sunday gets to be a bit of a stretch.  But you know what?  God always provides!

He has provided through food that wasn't eaten at Riverside, my kids' school.  I work in the lunch room on Fridays and if there is food leftover, we get to take it home to feed our college students.  Isn't God cool?  Other weeks we just have enough money in the grocery budget that it's no big deal to feed them all.  We feel God has called us to feed them, physically and spiritually.  We just have to obey, right?  He fed 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fish....I think He can feed our Lifegroup! 

So, the funny part of the story comes in now.  When you hear the term potluck what do you think?  It's just a term to bring something, right?  Doesn't necessarily have to be a casserole you made.  Or anything homemade for that matter.  Well, we thought we would skirt around our "feeding the kids" issue and have a potluck.  Let me just say, don't skirt around the things that God has commissioned you to do.  Of our 20 kids in Lifegroup, only 6 showed up to our potluck!  LOL  The word potluck really scared them off!  God has called Michael and Becky to provide the food for them, not put it on themselves to provide for themselves!  So, we all got a good laugh out of it.  But from now on, the foods on me....or should I say it's on God?!  He'll be the one providing it every week.  I think He wants to show not only us that He can do it, but He wants to prove a point to these college kids that He is their ultimate provider! 

I think this week we'll just bring 5 loaves and 2 fish and see what happens.  Our God is an awesome God!  I'm SO glad He loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment