Thursday, January 12, 2012

Parenting 101

Yesterday was rough.  I have a preteen daughter who is pushing boundaries and trying to figure out life.  If you've been there, you nod your head.  If you aren't there yet, well, it's coming.  I'm learning that I have to hold those boundaries tight and not loosen them at all if I want to raise a daughter who respects rules and authority.  Some boundaries are fluid and we can change them as needed, but others are more important and set in stone. 

Yesterday was a day I had to hold up the stone wall.  Alex disobeyed and consequences had to be doled out.  I had to pray myself through the whole discipline process because I was quite angry with the disobedience.  I was disappointed and hurt by her actions.  So, I had to get myself in check first.  God gave me some good insight and let me know what to say to my child, who is also His child.  After consulting Him, it made me realize that this parenting job really isn't that hard.  As long as I'm in the Word and seeking God, He'll give me the wisdom needed to raise wonderful kids.  But I don't have to do it alone.  He intervenes with His child as well.  That's the cool part.

Two times yesterday, Alex was taught lessons about the Ten Commandments.  And the two that really spoke to her were, (1) You shall not lie, and (2) Honor your father and mother.  Funny how God pulled those out for her to focus on.  She was taught about them during chapel at school, then she was taught about them again last night at youth group at church.  You don't usually get a double whammy on a particular topic like that, but God had a plan for her yesterday and it included driving those home to her little heart. 

We helped her to relish in the fact that God spoke to her yesterday!  How exciting!  The consequences she's having to endure now aren't quite so bad because she had an experience with God.  I love when God takes the bad and turns it into something good.  He loves to do that to our family.  I love that He's showing Himself to my children now.  I know He's been doing it all along, but I love that they are finally beginning to see Him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment